World of Colin

The wanderings and wonderings of a 40year old.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Worcester, Worcestershire, United Kingdom

I turned 40 in 2006 and have been working in the railway industry since November 2005. Prior to that I worked for the same company for 10.5yrs. I live on my own with my dog, Chip; however I have been in a long term relationship with Jane since 1992, Jane lives round the corner which trendy people called LATing – living apart together. We find it suits us, as we are both divorcees and like our own space. Since getting together with Jane we have done some great things and been to some great places, the highlight being the trip to the Arctic Circle via Newcastle, Gothenburg, Stockholm and Helsinki. We subsequently went back to Stockholm for a long weekend a few years ago. We’ve also been to Iceland (see the blog on that trip), Tunisia, Cornwall (several times), Scotland, America (to see my brother who lives in New Hampshire), and Wales and since 2001 we’ve been to the same hotel on the Greek island of Rhodes each September. There we just chill with the friends we’ve made who also return year after year and the owners George and Mary.

Friday, October 10, 2008

The Life and Loves of an Air Guitarist - Part 1

The 70’s & 80’s

As a child growing up in early 70’s Britain I listened to a mixture of music; my first vinyl singles were Mud, Brotherhood of Man, Emerson Lake and Palmer, Rubettes & Darts and my first LP’s were various ABBA ones.

I didn’t have a favourite musical style and while at secondary school the gang/group I was in would follow the “leader” as to what music he decided we would like – we changed from punk, to rockabilly to rock at his whim, we were that sad and pathetic!

That all changed in 1979 when the New Wave of British Heavy Metal (NWOBHM) hit the country. This caused a split in our gang as Nicky, the “leader”, had seen Grease; decided his real name was Kenickie (!) and that we should now be into Rock and Roll. I refused and so we went our separate musical ways, to be fair he is still a teddy boy with the proper clothing, hair etc so it seemed we have all continued on the path set at that time.

1979 and the NWOBHM was the launching pad of some great British bands such as Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Saxon, Samson (who’s lead singer Bruce Dickinson soon moved to Iron Maiden), Judas Priest, Scorpions, UFO, Def Leppard, Girlschool, Motorhead, Whitesnake, Gillan & Rainbow. The latter three bands were formed from ex members of the influential Deep Purple who had split a few years earlier. From other countries KISS, AC/DC & Aerosmith were also making an impact. Sadly it was also the year Led Zeppelin split after the death of John Bonham – strangely one of the bands that led to the rise of heavy metal and allegedly the band after which the term was first used, were not there to see the huge rise in popularity of the genre.

My first true rock LP was Iron Maiden’s “Number of the Beast” – if you’re going to get into Heavy Metal you might as well start with a classic. At the same time I was given “Close to the Edge” by Yes. Both of these were birthday presents and both musically very different. The first rock LP I bought myself was a live Hawkwind one, which was so awful I took it back to the shop and exchanged it for Deep Purple “In Rock”., a much better choice and still a favourite.

Concert wise the main places to see bands were in Birmingham, about 30miles away, but to a teenage kid with no money and no transport it could have been the moon really. So when a friend invited me to go and see Saxon at the Birmingham Odeon (4th October 1982) I jumped at the chance. At the time “The Eagle Has Landed” tour was touted as the loudest and also the brightest in the world; this was a time when all the rock bands were vying for the title of loudest band in the world. It was the brightest as the highlight of the gig was the lead singer coming down on to the stage from above in an Eagle shaped framework holding aircraft landing lights that could be seen 5miles away or something. I came away impressed. And deaf!

It wasn’t till December 1983 that I went to another gig and that was to see Robert Plant on his first solo tour following his “Principle of Moments” record. He was supported by It Bites who had a hit with “Calling all the Hero’s”. Then almost another twelve months before my third gig which was Iron Maiden on their “World Slavery” tour in October 1984.

Following that it was Mama’s Boys (1985), ZZ Top on their 1986 afterburner tour, Robert Plant (1988) and then Jimmy Page (1988) on his first solo tour with Jason Bonham on drums and John Miles on vocals. This featured an instrumental version of “Stairway to Heaven” with Jason conducting the audience with the singing, and a great version of John Miles’ “Music (was my first love)”.

The bands I spent my meagre funds on were Saxon , Iron Maiden, ZZ Top, Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Ten Years After, Mountain, Rush and Yes to name the main ones. Fortunately this was the time of the Friday Rock Show with Tommy Vance on BBC Radio 1 so even though I didn’t buy many LP’s (although I built up a good collection of about 200 before CD’s were affordable) I heard a lot of good bands and recorded a lot of classic concerts broadcast on those Friday nights which I’ve still got on tape and some I’ve transferred to CD. These include Thin Lizzy, Gary Moore, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Twisted Sister, Dumpy’s Rusty Nuts, Climax Blue’s Band, Man and Dio.

In the early 80’s the Worcester Arts Workshop held “discos” in their cellar – these started off as a mix of stuff but the music became more rock orientated and so I heard a lot of new stuff that way. I also started to ruin my hearing by head banging right next to the speakers!

That concludes the first part of my musical journey!

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home