World of Colin

The wanderings and wonderings of a 40year old.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Worcester, Worcestershire, United Kingdom

I turned 40 in 2006 and have been working in the railway industry since November 2005. Prior to that I worked for the same company for 10.5yrs. I live on my own with my dog, Chip; however I have been in a long term relationship with Jane since 1992, Jane lives round the corner which trendy people called LATing – living apart together. We find it suits us, as we are both divorcees and like our own space. Since getting together with Jane we have done some great things and been to some great places, the highlight being the trip to the Arctic Circle via Newcastle, Gothenburg, Stockholm and Helsinki. We subsequently went back to Stockholm for a long weekend a few years ago. We’ve also been to Iceland (see the blog on that trip), Tunisia, Cornwall (several times), Scotland, America (to see my brother who lives in New Hampshire), and Wales and since 2001 we’ve been to the same hotel on the Greek island of Rhodes each September. There we just chill with the friends we’ve made who also return year after year and the owners George and Mary.

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

The Life and Loves of an Air Guitarist - Part 4

The Noughties

12th July 2001 and I saw Living Colour again in London breaking the biggest drought of gigs I’ve had. For this I wore the t-shirt I had bought at the previous Living Colour gig and was walking around the area of London when one of the band members came in the opposite direction, spotted my t-shirt and gave me the thumbs up! My brain immediately went blank and refused to tell me which band member it was so I wasn’t able to stop him and chat!

November 2002 and the start (or re-starting) of something special! Fishbone were back in the UK and on the 17th they were in the Nottingham, on the 18th in Birmingham and finally on the 27th I flew out to Amsterdam to see them. For the full story of this trip see part Three!

30th May 2003 and once again I was at a Fishbone concert this time in London, before seeing Living Colour once more in September.

31st May 2006 and I had a chance to see one of my hero’s; Leslie West of Mountain. He was playing a converted church in Worcester and I just had to see him. I’m glad I did as he is a brilliant guitarist and influenced me greatly when I was playing myself. It was a bit of an odd one as he has played with the same drummer since 1960 but they seemed to argue a bit on stage!

June and once again it was down to London to see Fishbone who were supported by Wolfunkind – a French funk metal band who really impressed me. I got to see Fishbone/Wolfunkind on another two occasions on the 14th and 16th November in Birmingham and London.

Another blast from the past was Saxon who released a new CD in 2006 and toured the UK. So 24 years after I first saw them I was in Wolverhampton (20th May 2007) being deafened once again! The first part of their set was new stuff then they did a greatest hits part which really got the crowd going and showed that they were still a great band.

My next gig was Jan 26th 2008 at the Carling Academy in Birmingham - Seasick Steve! This was a sell out and not surprisingly. Steve is a brilliant blues guitarist and has a huge stage presence even if he looks like a hobo - which he was at one point in his life.

The next gigs I had intended on going to were Black Stone Cherry in December and The Inspector Clouzo - however I don't think i will be able to now due to possibly being made redundant as I write this! (15/10/08)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home